Thursday 8 September 2016

The art of reflection

Looking at my grizzly and often blurred image in the mirror every morning makes me consider the value of true reflection.  For a start, I see myself the wrong way round.  I also see myself in 2D.  I also see myself as an older person with blemishes that I did not use to have.

Far better to use a 3D webcam pointing at me and displaying the photo-shopped and airbrushed images it captures as holograms (does that even exist yet?)

What we think is a reflection may only be 2 dimensional, will certainly show "warts and all" and may not be our own viewpoint but that which others see or expect to see.

Picture "Swan Mirror Image" by Dr Joseph Valks at freedigitalphotos.net

Teachers in HE are aware that the goal of students becoming reflective and independent learners, developing their own journeys through the academic maze, needs to be nurtured and supported.  Many of us have attempted to encourage students to learn about their own strengths and development needs (note: I did not say weaknesses as I've been on the Diversity course).

But in an on-line portfolio where the expectation is that material WILL escape at some time, how honest are students?  How honest, indeed, when their tutor is the most likely sole reader of their blog, reflection or portfolio - and that it might be used as the basis of assessment and even marks.....

So, how do we give students the confidence to be honest with us?  to tell the truth to themselves and to benefit from reflection as part of their learning journey?  Certainly the "massification" of HE does little to help.  Student Staff ratios exceeding 20:1, in theory, (40:1 in practice once absent professors are factored in), helps even less.  Calling students "customers" is damaging too as it implies passive delivery of "learning" in exchange for payment.

Back to the old days?  That is hardly realistic, but we do need to build trust relationships between tutors and students, we do need to focus on the student's learning and we do need to forge ways in which genuine reflective practice can flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment